1212 Update - 6.30.20
Men's Ministry News
First, we want to say a huge “thank you” to many of you who have already contributed to the launch of 1212 Community House. We have raised nearly 75%, or $600,000 of the $800,000 necessary for the phase one renovations of the home. So, thank you if you have already donated to 1212. If you would like to join us in launching 1212, you can still contribute by going to our website and clicking the “Donate” button on any of our pages.
Now, if you’re reading this and asking yourself what 1212 Community House is, it’s our newest opportunity to see God at work. It’s been a prayer of the ministry for years. 1212 Community House will be a residential living opportunity for graduates of our Men’s Renewal Programs. It will be a place where up to 30 men can affordably live for up to 3 years. These men will be in a community of connectedness so they can further grow their roots into Christ. This rootedness will allow them to spread their wings through work and school so they can begin to flourish within the community. For more details check out our website.
Second, we want to provide you with a brief update on the renovations and expected launch date. Unfortunately, we have temporarily suspended renovations until we can resolve a zoning challenge. This challenge comes via a small group opposed to 1212 Community House’s Warehouse District location.
We have temporarily suspended renovations
until we can resolve a zoning challenge.
In early March, the City issued a final determination that 1212 Community House does comply with the zoning requirements. However, the opposition group filed a formal appeal with the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA), with a ruling expected at their May 14th meeting.
Would you please pause right now and pray along with us? We ask God to be gracious, and that the ZBA will agree with and confirm the City’s determination so we can resume renovations as soon as possible.
We believe 1212 Community House will bring God much glory and significantly impact men’s lives. So, it is not overly surprising that there is some opposition. There are additional avenues to pursue to make 1212 a reality if this ruling would not be in our favor. Yet, we are praying and asking you to join us in our prayer that the May 14th meeting confirms the City’s ruling, and we can move forward sooner rather than later.
With a favorable decision, we would hope for a Fall 2020 launch.